Support BT

There are so many ways to support Brownell Talbot! We are grateful for gifts of time, talent, and treasure. The Office of Advancement is ready to help you navigate how your support and generosity can best impact the school.

The BT Fund

Support The BT Fund

The BT Fund is the name of Brownell Talbot’s annual giving program (formerly the Annual Sustaining Campaign and Parent Pride). This fund is the most important fundraising effort at Brownell Talbot. Making a gift to The BT Fund means supporting students, programs, and faculty and staff enrichment. Brownell Talbot is an independent school and as such, the education of every student is made possible by tuition and philanthropy.

The BT Fund is designed to cover the difference in tuition and the actual cost to educate a student at Brownell Talbot. The gap at BT is $3,500 per student. Thirty percent of our students are provided with tuition assistance. One hundred percent of Brownell Talbot faculty, staff, and Board of Trustees make a gift to The BT Fund.

Capital & Endowment Giving

Capital campaigns are time-limited efforts proposed by the Board of Trustees for a specific need, such as construction of campus facilities or building the endowment. Growing the endowment is currently the school’s top capital fundraising priority. Gifts to the endowment can be discussed with the Office of Advancement at 402.556.3772.

Planned Giving

Planned giving encompasses a variety of philanthropic strategies that help you plan your support for Brownell Talbot. Choosing the right method and timing of your gift can increase tax savings and reduce the net costs of the contribution.

The following is a brief description outlining some of the prevalent charitable contribution methods available to donors. Please consult with your tax advisor or call the Office of Advancement with specific questions.

Types of Giving

Gifts for the Present

  • Cash: the most common gift to charity takes the form of cash, through a check written by the donor.
  • Tax credits: the threshold for claiming your charitable tax credits is based on your net annual income.
  • Pledges: pledges are gifts to Brownell Talbot that may be paid over time.
  • Stocks and securities: substantial tax savings can be obtained by making contributions of appreciated securities held for at least one year to a public charity such as Brownell Talbot.
  • Property: on occasion, the school may accept personal property as non-monetary gifts. Tangible personal property includes such items as books, artwork, furniture, computers, automobiles, boats, silverware, and jewelry. As with gifts of real estate, gifts of personal property should be valued through a professional appraisal.
  • Gifts of appreciated real estate: an outright gift of real estate to charity is often beneficial to a donor from a tax point of view. A residence, vacation home, farm, acreage, or vacant lot may have so appreciated in value through the years that its sale would mean a sizable capital gains tax. If given to Brownell Talbot instead, a donor would avoid the capital gains tax and, at the same time, receive a charitable deduction for the full fair market value.

Gifts for the Future

  • Bequests: the most common form of deferred gift, a bequest, is a gift made through a will.
  • Strip or zero coupon bonds: a modest investment today can leverage a substantial gift for a fixed date in the future.
  • Life insurance: gifts of life insurance policies may be made in several ways. Check with your insurance advisor.
  • Gift planning: if you are interested in any of these kinds of gifts and do not have an advisor for legal, accounting, financial planning or insurance questions, please contact Shannon Gilroy at 402.556.3772.

Gifts that Give Back

  • Annuities: make an outright gift and receive guaranteed payments for life. Specific requirements need to be discussed with your financial advisor.
  • Charitable remainder trusts: make a substantial commitment to Brownell Talbot while maintaining the use of your assets for the duration of your life. Please check with your financial planner for specific requirements.

Other Types of Deferred Gifts

  • Charitable Remainder Annuity
  • Charitable Remainder Unitrust
  • Charitable Lead Trust
  • Contribution of Retirement Plan Assets