While campus is temporarily closed, BT teachers continue to provide learning materials and activities that maintain BT’s planned curriculum. Learning continues to emphasize interaction, inquiry, response, practice, and creativity.
Online learning in Middle School provides experiences that are aligned with the curriculum. While variations may occur, the key concepts, skills, objectives, and approaches to learning skills are addressed. Assessments follow a similar timeline as when on-campus learning is in session, though they may be approached in different ways.
- Learning materials are shared via Veracross.
- Learning activities are engaging.
- Learning activities may be completed:
- Independently online.
- Collaboratively online, via chat, video conference, or other collaborative tools.
- Learning activities have a number of purposes:
- Allow students to engage with new learning.
- Practice, discuss, and apply learning.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in relation to learning.
- Learning connects to current units and curriculum.
- Assessment tasks enable students to demonstrate their understanding.
- Establish a daily routine to support your learning.
- Identify a comfortable, quiet space so you can work effectively and successfully.
- Check your email and Veracross Student Portal, following the directions of your teacher.
- Participate in daily Zoom classes as outlined in the schedule.
- Complete tasks and activities on which you can receive feedback (either online or during the next class meeting, as indicated in instructions).
- Participate in online learning activities with your classmates.
- Complete assessment tasks.
- Take breaks, play, rest, be active.
- Communicate proactively with your teachers. Ask questions but be patient when waiting for a response. If a teacher emails you, respond in a timely manner. You can use email or, if permitted by your teacher, Zoom.
- Communicate with your friends and classmates regularly.
- Be mindful of your workload and wellbeing. If you have any concerns, contact your advisor or school counselor Mrs. Tessin at email@example.com.
- If you experience any technical problems, email BT's technology team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask questions, talk about learning, upcoming deadlines, and workload.
- Help your child develop daily routines.
- Help identify a quiet learning space that is near Wifi routers.
- Encourage your child to take study breaks and to take part in physical exercise.
- Be mindful of your child’s wellbeing; speak to them regularly about concerns or challenges.
- Choose a learning location that is suitable to be seen by classmates and teachers if students are using video tools.
- Create opportunities for your child to interact with classmates to maintain connections with their school community.
- Ensure your children are dressed appropriately when using video tools.
- If there are siblings simultaneously online, choose locations that do not cause noise interference when recording learning or video conferencing.
- Communicate any concerns to your child’s advisor, teacher, or Mrs. Tessin via email.
- Post learning materials in Veracross for the lessons scheduled that day by 9:00 am.
- Plan learning activities that are easily understood and implemented by students.
- Provide learning activities that include time away from devices.
- Provide reflection and feedback in the process of posting student learning.
- Be available via email to answer questions about the activities, as needed from 8:00 am to 3:45 pm.
- Post summative assessments on the Veracross Assignment calendar so colleagues, students, and parents can all see them and plan workload accordingly.
- Follow the current BT assessment practices, including advance notice for assessments.
- Support classroom teachers with social emotional learning.
- Serve as support for students and families.
- Host office hours at set times for families and students to access counseling sessions virtually if required.
- Support teachers to provide students with wellbeing activities.
Learning and Curriculum Coordinator
- Collaborate with the subject or classroom teachers in order to plan for students on their caseload.
- Scaffold, modify, or differentiate activities, as necessary, for students based on their workload.
- Communicate regularly with students and their parents about students’ workload to ensure they have success with tasks.
- Provide supplementary learning activities for students based on their workload, who may benefit from additional practice to support their individual needs.
- Monitor student learning and provide feedback and next steps.
Library Media Specialist
- Collaborate with colleagues to find resources for high-quality learning experiences and research.
- Regularly check in with classroom teachers to identify ways to support the design of learning experiences.
- Be available for teachers as needed to support the development of rich learning engagements.
- Continually monitor the needs of teachers, students, and parents and troubleshoot their challenges, as needed.
- Be available in person or remotely to provide on-demand tech support help for teachers.
CURRENT STATUS: Campus will remain closed and distance learning will be in place through the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
Need Technical Help?
Email email@example.com and our IT department will follow-up with you.