Honoring Student Achievement in Theatre
The International Thespian Society (ITS) is the student honorary division of EdTA recognizing excellence in middle and high school theatre. Membership into ITS is earned by participating in an affiliated school’s theatre program and accumulating points toward membership. Since 1929, more than two million students have been inducted into ITS.
Students in grades 9 through 12 who have been inducted into ITS are known as Thespians. Students in grades 6 through 8 who have been inducted into ITS are known as Junior Thespians.
The benefits of becoming a member of International Thespian Troupe 8093:
- Membership in the only international honor society for high school theatre arts students—a recognized demonstration of achievement and a valuable addition to college and employment applications.
- A membership certificate.
- A personalized membership card.
- A one-year (nine issues) subscription to Dramatics magazine (a $27 value). The first issue will arrive within six to eight weeks for students inducted August through March. Students inducted April through July will receive their first issue in September.
- The ability to renew the subscription at a special member rate ($15 as of 4/1/10). Note: All Thespians are sent renewal notices before their subscription expires. This provides them the opportunity to continue receiving the magazine at our lowest member rate and is a lifelong benefit.
- Leadership opportunities at the troupe, chapter and international levels.
- Eligibility for scholarships through EdTA chapters and the home office.
- Eligibility to apply for student grants, including the Doug Finney Festival Grants (juniors and seniors), which are need-based grants to help Thespians attend the ITS Festival.
- Eligibility to audition at the Thespian Festival for admission to college theatre programs.
- Eligibility to submit original plays to the Thespian Playworks program.
- Eligibility to audition for chapter Individual Events programs and qualify for the National Individual Events Showcase (NIES) at the Thespian Festival.
- Eligibility to receive Thespian graduation and honor items (honor cords, point stars, pins, etc.).
- Eligibility to advance to Thespian ranks of Honor, National Honor or International Honor Thespian.
- Eligibility to receive Thespian scholar distinction for academic achievement.
To learn more, visit: