Middle School Curriculum
Brownell-Talbot Middle School is a bridge from our self-contained Lower School to the challenging world of a departmentalized Upper School.
We recognize the transition to the middle grades as an exciting time for families. With the physical, social, and emotional changes, students also experience new routines, peer groups, and academic opportunities. Choosing the right school can help decrease the anxiety students and parents may feel during the adolescent years. A small school environment like ours provides the individual attention middle school students need to build successful academic, personal, and social behaviors.
Brownell-Talbot Middle School aims to educate the whole child while developing those habits that lead to high achievement. Spanning grades five through eight, our unique curriculum seeks to challenge students while reinforcing each child's inherent dignity, integrity, self-esteem, and self-discipline. With a wide array of electives and extra-curricular activities, each student is able to pursue individual interests. Distinctive features of our program include:
- 5th-8th Grade Comprehensive Fine Arts study
- 5th-8th Grade Character Education Program with a dedicated MS Counselor
- 7th-8th Advanced Mathematics - 8th grade students are enrolled in, at least, Algebra I
- 7th-8th Grade Classical Literature Study, including Shakespeare
- 7th-8th Grade Latin, Spanish, and French sequences resulting in HS credit
- 7th-8th Grade Comprehensive Advisory Program
- 8th Grade College Counseling
- lifeTRACKS Personal Wellness Program
In seventh and eighth grade, students are encouraged to be involved in our interscholastic sports program. It is an excellent opportunity to develop friendships, be part of a team, stay physically fit and experience the benefits of athletic competition. Girls participate in volleyball, basketball, and track. Boys compete in football, basketball, and track.