Brownell-Talbot School was founded in September 1863 by the Rt. Rev. Joseph Cruickshank Talbot, D.D., then the Episcopal Bishop of the Northwest. It was his desire to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the daughters of the pioneers while sparing them the long journey to eastern boarding schools.
As a girls’ boarding school, Brownell-Talbot was originally named Brownell Hall. Bishop Talbot named the School for the Presiding Bishop of Connecticut, Thomas Church Brownell, whose parish provided a large portion of the funds needed to purchase the School’s first home.
In 1868, Brownell Hall held the first commencement exercise in the State of Nebraska when it conferred diplomas upon Nebraska’s first high school graduates.
The original Brownell Hall was located three miles north of the City of Omaha in Saratoga Springs, now 24th and Grand Avenue. The School moved twice before relocating in 1923 to its present site at the intersection of Underwood Avenue and Happy Hollow Boulevard, formerly Happy Hollow Country Club and the estate of Nelson Hayes Patrick.
In 1952, the decision was made for Brownell Hall to become coeducational and boys were enrolled in the Talbot School for Boys, named for the founder of Brownell Hall, Bishop Talbot. The School was called Brownell Hall-Talbot School for Boys until 1963, then renamed Brownell-Talbot School.
In 1967, Brownell-Talbot became independent of the Episcopal Church. Brownell-Talbot today is a coeducational, college preparatory day school serving students from preschool through grade 12. It is the only preschool through grade 12, independent college preparatory school in the state of Nebraska.
Brownell-Talbot School is governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Trustees comprising parents, past parents, alumni, and friends of the School. These community and business leaders are dedicated to the success and future of the School. The Board sets the purposes, policies, and long-range strategic plans; takes responsibility for securing adequate financial backing; appoints and evaluates the Headmaster of the School; and delegates the responsibility of operating the School to the Head of School.